Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Kiss-In

I am wondering what Jesus would do if he found himself at a Chick-fil-A tomorrow, August 3.

I understand that is the day - rescheduled after 'Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day' crammed all locations on the original date, August 1 - of the 'Kiss-In' in which certain same-sex couples intend to show up at the chicken joints and, well, make out.



A typical restuarant would of course boot out a couple engaging in inappropriate public behavior, but Chick-fil-A is known as restaurant reflecting Christian values: a place where the servers address diners as 'guests' rather than 'customers,' a place that closes on Sundays so that staff have the opportunity to attend church if they wish, and a place where I have seen the manager himself pull out the mop and clean a child's lost lunch off the floor so that the staff could continue taking orders during the busy dinner hour. So how could Chick-fil-A act out Christ's mission with couples all over each other on their premises? I thought I had an epiphany: give the smoochers a free sandwich! Go over the top to show that they are welcome.

But the more I thought on this, the more it didn't seem quite right. I thought more, and I realized: it's me who should buy the smoochers a sandwich. While the restaurant's job is to serve all paying guests equally, I as a consumer am in a position to do something extra to show the sort of disarming love that Christ spent his life teaching me about.

But I won't get the chance to buy chicken for anyone on Friday. I'll be in a pink chair in a doctor's office for four hours, receiving toxins and trying to keep the room from spinning. So if you get the chance, buy a smoocher a snack, and tell him that Jesus loves him, because that it is true, and telling that to others is why we are here.

1 comment:

  1. Your words are wise and timely, of course. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete