She spent the first few weeks of her life screaming through dinner and bedtime and taking an hour or so to settle down after feeding at night. Sam and Julian came home to eat in the evening with the music of infant consternation that carried on through bedtime. Sleep deprivation is an effective method of torture for a reason - my eyes were starting to feel like exiting my head, and I wanted to go down, down, down into my mattress and curl up there, padded from the wails that get inside a parent and churn your stomach like they're your own.
Then my neighbor (love and praises and gratitude to you, Vanessa!) mentioned that chia seeds didn't sit well with her little one while nursing. I stopped having my morning tablespoon on almond butter and toast and...magic. All better. Analee transformed into who she is: a happing, cooing, smiling little bug who greets you with her whole body: limbs thrusting forward and toothless grin spreading wide. At 6 weeks she slept through the night and still does. I have a 3 month old, and I have time in the mornings to have a cup of tea before waking her to eat. Outrageous.
I love watching her nurse. She offers nothing but need and trust, yet seeing her find satisfaction fills my heart with joy. I am sure that God gives us such love to show us that he loves us in the same way. Analee is teaching me to come to Him as she comes to me: all need and hope and trust.
Sam's parents crossed an ocean and left their farm in others' hands for the first two weeks in April to meet their new granddaughter (i.e. grandchild number 11) and get re-acquainted with Julian. Amidst Julian's waking snorts and morning eye rubs while they were here (and the first few heartbreaking mornings after they left) was the phrase 'Where's Grandma?' Followed shortly by 'Where's Gran-Grad?'
I'd be anxious to determine their location too if Grandma was up to this...
And this...
And this...
And this...
And I was making careful study of Grandad's sawing skills...
And climbing Smoky Mountains with them...
In conclusion, I (Jessica) would like to be Peter and Susan when I grow up.
Little Analee laid on her back and chatted and cooed, turning towards her grandparents' voices to smile so beautifully and enthusiastically that both chins, one dimple and all limbs got involved. They left our house sparkling clean, our garage floor redone and our children loved to pieces.
A few days after Peter and Susan departed, we achieved a feat that has eluded our family for over a year...the family photo. Complete with Julian's glitter-sticker decorated top, Analee's pre-lunch rooting, my sleepy eyes and Sam's unflappable good looks, here we are:

No comments:
Post a Comment