Thursday, August 11, 2011

Righteous v. Rioters

Why is it so heartbreaking when even the 'best' of societies show themselves to be so sick and broken within? I think it is because I so admire when order is set up to govern a society, order that attempts to do right and fair by its people. I am always reminded, however, that the best of man's systems is no match for man himself. Some darkness in him always lashes out, and no utopia has ever lasted.

Who has seen the pictures and heard the stories of the riots in London and elsewhere in England the past few days? Who has seen the scores of vicious mobs burning and looting, shifting around police movements to different cities and indiscriminately destroying even a warehouse full of small-scale music labels' stock, music that many of the riotous youth no doubt listen to themselves?




I'm saddened to hear of such terror in a country for which I have such affection and a country that is Sam's homeland. But there's also an element of fury in me. Fury at the rioters who seek benefit for themselves while destroying the buildings, products, organization and time of others who have set up these things - others who have created order, one of the fundamental callings of humankind. I find myself even hating those rioters who destroy and take no responsibility - even unwilling to look at the news stories anymore because all I have is disgust towards them, and a desire to see them brought to justice and forced to realize what cowards they have been.

There is no hope in my disgust and hatred toward the rioters - and certainly no love, for who can love what is most base and anti-human among us: laziness coupled with destruction of order?

I had a twinge that mine should not be the reaction of someone following Christ. He certainly does not condone this behavior, for it is he who called humans to be stewards of the earth and create order like He did, but neither does he turn away in disgust at humanity....or at me, who but for some fortunate life circumstances could be among the destroyers looting London.

Sam sent me a link of a British pastor shedding light on how Christ and these riots go together, and I am glad he did, for I could not see it before. I was only holding my breath, wishing for Christ's second coming that will sweep away the ugliness and wrong-ness in the world, but there is more truth still than that about the rioters and about 'the rest of us,' and I invite you to read it here:

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, friend. I sat up all last Tuesday night, weeping and praying. It bothers me that things automatically got blamed on "council housing tenants" by some of the same "well-bred" men who've recently had their wrists slapped for financial irresponsibility. The anonymity was fearsome-and I saw through fresh eyes the danger-the anti-kingdom-of anonymity--from any side. I love that city-love that land-and hope for a better day. Did I mention thanks for sharing it? Good words.

    ReplyDelete